Sunday 14 January 2018

Into It

What a difference the weather makes.

I made it out Friday and decided to try out a new route, following the road to Hayle for ten miles before opting for the back roads towards Camborne and returning home. I mapped it out to be a 20 mile ride which should have taken under two hours, getting me home just in time for it to get dark. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn, made it back on to my intended route and then came across a closed road, meaning I had to divert a mile or so out of the way. A mile or so turned into a few miles or so and I finally made it back 50 minutes late, well after the sun had descended and the roads were pitch black having covered just over 31 miles.

Today I decided to take it easy on myself and went for a route that I knew well, towards Redruth on the back roads and returning along the same route. While on the course I noticed a massive descent into the village of Stithians (I know, the place with the reservoir...of course there are going to be descents, right?). Having climbed to the top of the hill to go down it I decided to get back on to the road for the return journey so I wasn't doing 20 miles of hill training and this gave me a great idea - I should do this all the time. Thus, I am now planning back routes to neighbouring towns with a nice, fast paced return through the traffic of Cornwall.

Both journeys had little rain and limited wind, although on Friday the wind started to pick up as the ol' sun disappeared. I was on my way home by then though so didn't much care.

I also had a relaxed, almost two mile run on Saturday with my lovely children as we're all working towards a virtual running 10K medal each.

This is my weekends from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment