Thursday 16 August 2018

Triathlon Trepidation

It's been a great day.

After under achieving at Ride London I've continued to cycle as I don't want to be unfit for Swim Serpentine, however I also treated myself to a new pair of running shoes to build up a few miles as I intend to go back to running after the swim.

All year I've been asked when my triathlon is because I was a runner taking up cycling and swimming so it was a natural assumption. I'm still not 100% sure I could ever do a triathlon, however I looked up the components of a sprint distance event and decided to try them all in one day to see if it is mildly achievable - a lazy triathlon, if you will.

To do this I had to run 5km (3.1 miles), cycle 25km (12 miles) and swim 750 metres (0.47 miles). Granted they were in reverse order but I was invited to a BBQ 12 miles away that was right by the sea and realised I could try them all out in one go. I started running at 6.45am and had a bit of a gap until I jumped on the bike after which I had to don my wetsuit and threw myself into the sea at around midday. I genuinely enjoyed every aspect of this experiment and confidently believe I could do a sprint tri if not an olympic event which involves double the distances.

I don't have the willpower to practice the transitions so will put it on the back burner for now yet I was pleased to munch away at the grilled goods knowing that I had really earned them.

[N.B. I have done more than this during the week, I just haven't recorded it..!]


No comments:

Post a Comment